According to Microsoft windows developers, these errors occur when Windows try to initiate an automatic update and when a program requires user interaction.
However, if you initiate the Windows Update, these types of errors can occur for various reasons. Often times it will require a few computer restarts in order to fix it. Removing your security software can help at times though it’s not recommended.
Starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, Windows Update Agent replaces both the Windows Update web app and the Automatic Updates client. It is in charge of downloading and installing software update from Windows Update, as well as the on-premises servers of Windows Server Updates Services or System Center Configuration Manager. This is via which you install your update.
Windows Update Error code 0x800700c1 is a major error caused while the update is being downloaded. This error is not to be taken lightly and we suggest you take proper precaution and steps to fix the error howsoever.
This error is caused due to the corruption of some while the update is being downloaded or because of misconfigured system files of the operating system or you may be running two incompatible software programs or your PC has memory issues
These files may get corrupted due to an incomplete installation, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer.
The symptoms/effects of this error on your computer can be that your basic system functions don’t work such as the Window button on the lower left corner is dead.
Overall everything will be slow and you’ll get “the program is not responding” messages etc.
Please follow the guide below to fix the Windows Error code 0x800700c1 :
1) Turn on your computer and log on as an administrator.
2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3) In the new window, select “Restore my computer to an earlier time” option and then click Next.
4) Select the most recent system restore point from the “On this list, click a restore point” list, and then click Next.
5) Click Next on the confirmation window.
6) Restart your computer when the restoration is finished.
7) After you turn on your computer, click on the start button, search for windows update, click on check for updates.